NCS is official!

I know, I know, I have only just posted something. As per usual I have a lot to say.....

To start with there was a lot of confusion about whether or not I was allowed to compete this summer residential due to medical conditions and uncontrolled epilepsy. However in the end it was agreed that I could take part, which is amazing- as I had been looking forward to it for so long!!! 

Now, for those of you who know what the NCS (National Citizenship Service) is, I will explain. You will be glad to know that it is a lot more exciting then it sounds, taking 4 weeks to complete, gaining skills, and having fun on the way! 
And it goes a bit like this....

Week 1- residential (completing loads of crazy outdoor things and getting to know everyone)

Week 2- university halls (learning independent living skills and other qualifications like cooking and first aid)

Week 3 & 4- charity work (choosing whichever charity you want and coming up with a range of ideas to raise money)


I will be put into a group with complete strangers, something which is quite a daunting, but exciting experience. Also it will be a chance to make new friends and interact with different people. Whenever you are around strangers it is enviable that you will be judge, whether that's because you are in a wheelchair or your front left tooth is slightly wonky- strangers will pick anything, we all do it. However this just means that everyone can judge me, and I have 4 weeks prove them wrong! 

All of the activities on the first week are going to be loads of fun, but probably very challenging, especially as the people there will be unaware of my limitations or fainting tendencies- I'm sure they will all learn very fast! Considered it extreme trust/ team building exercises, by just fainting on someone. I have to say that the majority of close friendships which have been formed in the last year is a result of me face- planting them first (we all have our own style of breaking the ice with new people!)

Fingers crossed for one of the best summers ever! 

I'll let you know how week 1 went when I get back :)

~ Chloe x

Popular posts from this blog

A Parent's Perspective of Cerebral Palsy

What's it like to have a friend who has CP?

Observations from a Part- time Wheelchair User