An open letter to disability hate crime

This is not a negative blog post, it is an empowering one.

I was involved in a disability hate crime 8th October 2015 at about 10:30pm.

This letter was written in July 2016 after I finally was able to put together some of my thoughts about how I actually felt.

Now in 2017 I would like to share this with you all, not to serve any great purpose, but we all like a new year to be a fresh start, don't we?


"Dear disability hate crime,

I don’t think you quite realise the consequence of your actions, it has been nearly 9 months and it still can affect me. Who would have thought that a few seconds could cause such strong emotion of anger, hopelessness and vulnerability like it did. How would you feel to be stuck in one position and out of nowhere something comes into your personal space? I was trapped and you, as an acquaintance, decided to take advantage of this- I want to know why. The evening you choose to be immature was 8th October at about 10:30pm and I had just been on a night out into Leeds with a group of friends. Due to my complex health needs, I actually find it incredibly difficult to go out for longer periods of time. With my chronic fatigue, it can leave me feeling like I’ve been awake for days at a time when it has actually only been a matter of hours, when this is mixed with chronic pain I ache from head to toe and at times it can be hard to simply function. On 8th October it was the first time that I had been out on a proper 'night out' since my health has gone downhill and was such a massive step for me to take.

Actions speak louder than words and I guess in this instance that is true. After what you decided to immaturely do it has had a large impact. Some of my friends are now distance and hesitant to go anywhere with me. I know for a fact that it has been hard for them to come to terms with my health conditions over the years and this has been extremely hard to see. How am I supposed to accept the diagnosis if other people around me cannot? - and it is people like you in society who make this happen. This cannot be said for all my friendships but certainly enough people, yet they cannot be blamed for their actions, I understand the extra pressure that things like this can have on a friendship. .I have seen myself get less mobile and in more pain and it seems with every event and every progression within my diagnosis they have taken another step backwards. People like you who see it as a negative and choose to follow the views held by society about how we shouldn’t have the same respect as others and be seen as less should be extremely ashamed.

 People say that there is equality in this world, well you obviously don’t and that needs to change. How dare you think that I am any less, or imply so. Just because you had the added advantage of mobility and could run away from the situation doesn’t mean that you are any better. Adjusting to life using a wheelchair part time is one of the hardest things I have ever done and it is the inconsiderate people like you who make this harder than it already is. Targeting me for such an irrelevant part of myself is entirely disgusting. To take a small part of me (which you may have seen as an advantage) and then to see me as nothing more then that is ignorant and uneducated in what a disability actually is. Yes, I may have cerebral palsy but do you actually know what that is? It means that my muscles don’t respond the way they should, either being too tight or too loose due to slight brain damaged caused at birth- and that it is. The rest of my brain is fine, my intelligence is fine, my ability to become hurt and angry is not affected. My ability to go out and have fun is not affected by any condition I may have, but affected when people like you choose to do something stupid and fail to be kind, fail to just show a little consideration for other people. People like you who target others based on such a small aspect of their life.

I am a positive person and I will look for the good in any situation regardless of how small that is. As a result of your actions it actually made me look into hate crime a lot more than I had done previously, it made me research and more motivated to make a change. On the other hand, I am not going to lie to you and say that makes it okay.

Chloe"

Now in 2017 I would like to share this with you all, not to serve any great purpose, but we all like a new year to be a fresh start, don't we?

This letter was written in July 2016 after I finally was able to put together some of my thoughts about how I actually felt.

I was involved in a disability hate crime 8th October 2015 at about 10:30pm.

This is not a negative blog post, it is an empowering one. 

~ Chloe x

Popular posts from this blog

A Parent's Perspective of Cerebral Palsy

What's it like to have a friend who has CP?

Observations from a Part- time Wheelchair User